Re: Single vs Twin TCs

Hi Steve,

On 19 Dec 2001, at 17:03, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

> Hi list,
>
> A twin TC is alleged to be more efficient than a single TC.  That is, for
> the same power, a twin allegedly can develop a longer streamer between the
> toroids than a single coil can to the air or ground.  Can someone explain
> exactly why?  Is it more than the idea that two smaller diameter primaries
> might transfer energy more efficiently to the secondaries than one larger
> primary to one secondary?  I suspect the explanation is more related to what
> is going on in the air between the toroids.  Your thoughts?
>
> --Steve

If the primary cap voltage and BPS (total primary power) remain the
same along with overall coupling (gap losses), a twin develops a
higher voltage between the terminals for the same amount of energy.
About SQRT(2) times as high in fact. Because there are so many
variables at work, unqualified claims about how much better the
arrangement is are meaningless. I deliberately omitted mention of
total capacitance in the secondary system.

     Here's an example: Suppose you have a single resonator system
and feed in n Joules/break. It will develop an output voltage (losses
ignored) of SQRT(2n/Cs) where Cs is the total secondary capacitance.
Now take an identical resonator, remove the ground lead from the
first, and connect it to the base of resonator #2. The n Joules of
energy is now shared between two capacitances of Cs.

Vout for one resonator now becomes SQRT(n/Cs) and the sum of voltages
between them (since these are 180 degrees out of phase) becomes
2SQRT(n/Cs).

Regards,
Malcolm