RE: TSG construction article

Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

Ed,

I have been looking for fan speed controls (not too hard), but have only
found them with 3 or maybe 5 speeds rather than continuously variable.
Anyhow, as simple as these things are, it can't be too hard to build one
from scratch that would manage the inductive load.  What more is needed than
a resister on the output of a lamp dimmer sized to draw around twice the
holding current of the triac?

I already have a 555 based STSG driver that varies the trigger across the
half-cycle but I need to add protection from the HV from the primary tank
circuit (Cost me a fried IGBT to figure that out).

Pete Komen

Are folks having better success with fan control dimmers than with light
dimmers?  You would think the fan control dimmers that are designed to work
into an inductive load would be more stable and robust.

Ed Sonderman