Re: Solid State Invasion

Hi Luc,

At 04:36 PM 12/15/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Terry's experiment with SS gap using
>IGBT ( Long time we don't had an update of your work in that
>field ).

All the preliminary testing went great!  It got to the point were only
$2000 more was needed to make a full SSgap!  OK, I sorta choked there :-))

Recently much higher voltage IGBTs have appeared which would reduce the
cost greatly.  The new IGBTs are not yet "prime time" but it seems a good
time to sit and wait.  SSgaps are not yet practical for coilers but they
ARE coming.  Nothing stands in the way except cost which is dropping every day.

Noting the new SSvariac ideas and the SSmots...  It looks like coiling will
soon be seeing a lot of silicon and a lot more efficiency in the future.

So, I am waiting like a panther in the bush for the technology to get here.
 Then my SSgap and I will strike :-D

Cheers,

	Terry