Re: Gapped DC Charging Reactor Performance

Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

Mike and other DCers,

Today I hooked 5 (!) MOTS in series for a total of about 80.5 Henrys in my
DC resonant charger setup.  Total DC resistance was 365 ohms, which at 0.2
amp average, only wastes about 73 watts plus a little more for Eddy current
losses as the field builds up and collapses.  In other words, insignificant
compared with gap losses.

With the large reactor, I could reduce the BPS to 100 and still run full
power without power arcing.  At 50 BPS, however, as I cranked up the power,
the RSG would suddenly draw out tremendous power arcs, probably 6 inches
long total!  I am amazed that the power supply and series connected de-Qing
oven diodes can take that punishment!  For me, 100 BPS is an acceptable
lower limit as the TC performance is rather wimpy at slower rates.

I didn't notice any decrease in performance at BPS up to 500.  I can still
get streamers over 54 inches.  500 BPS is 2 milliseconds between bangs.
Using V=Ldi/dt and solving for dt, I get about 1.4 ms for V=8,400 volts and
I=150 ma (at 400 BPS).  Seems like one would have to have break rates higher
than 1/1.4 ms = 714 BPS before the tank cap wouldn't fully charge.  I am
chicken to run my RSG that fast.

Hmmm, at 300 BPS, dt= 1.1 ms for 9.3 KV and 132 ma, and at 500 BPS, dt is
about 2 ms (7.4 KV at 192 ma), so there seem to be too many variables to
draw specific conclusions.

So, who is going to be the first to build a single 100 Henry DC charging
reactor?

--Steve