Re: Streamer Behavior vs BPS

In a message dated 12/16/01 12:50:27 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Steve,

I suppose the spark channels are not staying hot/ionized long
enough at the low bps to support the arc streamers very well,
so new ones tend to form.
I've seen this and reported on this in the past.  Greq Leyh also
spoke about it and called it a coalesence of the spark at higher
bps.  At low bps, his old large coil gave a "gas burner" effect,
with numerous small streamers around his toroid.  Coalescence
occured at 200 bps or so on his old coil ( I forget the exact
figure).  My research coil stays coalesced down to 60 bps or so.
Below that, it gives the gas burner effect.  There were other
postings about the condition too in the past, but I can't remember
offhand what was said.  The gas burner effect is the extreme
condition, but the breakout points begin to lose their effectness
as the bps drops.  I'm assuming your bang size is not increasing
at the low bps.  If it is, that would be part of the cause too, since
it's demanding a larger toroid at that point.

Good tests you're doing.

Cheers,
John