Re: CW Coil FFT Measurement

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 12/11/01 8:19 PM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I took my CW coil and ran it at about 500 watts input (500 forward ~~200
> reflected, not tuned all that great ;-)) so it had about a 300 watt
> flamming arc.
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/CWCoil/300watts.jpg
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/CWCoil/P1280005.jpg
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/CWCoil/P1280006.jpg
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/CWCoil/CWDig.jpg
>
> I set up my fancy Tek 3012 scope with my plane wave antenna and got the FFT
> thingy going.  With the antenna about three feet away, the output looked
> like a very pure fundamental.  NO harmonics at all!
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/CWFFT01.gif
>
> 20dB/div vertical, 250KHz/div horizontal.
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/CWFFT02.gif
>
> The generator supplies a very pure sine wave to the coil (>55dB) but the
> arc does not seem to generate significant harmonics.  I am unsure of a
> fancy over computerized digital scope being nearly equivalent to a "real"
> spectrum analyzer, but it should have easily picked up any "noise" if it
> was there.
>
> Maybe tube coilers and such don't have to worry quite as much about the
> FCC's black vans (they are really white "federal government" (cheap) cars
> with $150,000 worth of "stuff" in the passenger's seat) ;-))  The playroom
> is filled with battlebot stuff at the moment, but I hope to try it on a
> disruptive "real" streamer coil soon.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Terry

When they visited me they were in a dark van with a enclosed loop antenna on
top, they wore dark single breasted suits narrow rim felt hats and wore
black cap toe shoes. They must have changed thier style. Ihope they put away
thier sledge hammers!!!
  Robert  H