Re: How to explain what a Tesla coil is....

Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Bob,

Start with Nikola Tesla, invented radio, AC power, motors, flourescent
lighting, all that BS.

Then for the coil... the way I describe it is that you charge up a big
battery (cap) and discharge (via the spark gap) through a big homemade
transformer (the coil) instantly, sending a lot of power into the xfmr.
Forget the resonant rise, because they wont understand that. Likewise, dont
use the words capacitor, inductor, topload (instead use battery, coil and
donut). I know its not a battery, and I know its not strictly a normal
transformer, but they dont know that :)

Say it makes about seven hundred thousand volts (dont say 700KV or 0.7MV cos
it sounds less) to impress them.
Say it could easily kill you (OK you may be exaggerating but its still
bretty scary stuff).

Then if you have it there, fry some CDs, burn some wood, light some
flourescent tubes and if its small enough take some arcs...

Well anyway thats what I do to the ignorant parents at parents evening...
"Ooh thats pretty how does it work"... Do me a favour!!!!!

Best Regards,
Jason

Geek #1139 - G-2 - www.thegeekgroup-dot-org}