Re: Pole transformer advice

Original poster: "Nicholas Field by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nick.field-at-hvfx.co.uk>

> Steve, all,
>
> You used the intelligent approach. Congrats on your acquisition! :^)  And
> may I add a few thoughts
> directed to anyone considering a step up to a pole transformer.
>
> Please resolve yourself to the fact that it is YOUR responsibility that no
> one gets hurt or killed
> using the pole transformer you have obtained and will be using for a
> purpose other than that which
> the manufacturer/seller intended.
>
> The first time someone goes running back to the seller with "lawsuit" on
> their lips, the supply
> will quickly dry up. It has already happened with some capacitor
suppliers!

> Personal responsibility is a key phrase to remember in Tesla coiling
> activities!
>
> Ed Wingate RATCB

That as experienced a coiler as Ed has picked up on this should give you
some idea of what a problem this is getting to be.  These days you mention
the word 'Tesla' to most capacitor manufacturers and they flee like rats,
once upon a time (as those veterans among you will know) one or two of them
actually built Tesla coil specific capacitors.  They put up with our
whining, the development needed to make them reliable, and sold them for a
good price at the end of it all. Then someone foolishly mistreated a cap and
had it blow up, the lawyers got involved and now no-one makes Tesla coil
caps.

Similarly pigs and other 'out of the way' components.  People are becoming
more afraid of revealing their sources, for fear that next time they go
there they won't sell them to 'Tesla folks' any more.   As one currently in
the, tortuous, process of equipping a Tesla coil rental business, I can
attest to the fear instilled in vendors of HV components, particullarly
impulse capacitors, by the word 'Tesla'.  Prices are higher, warentees are
shorter and nobody's happy.  As Ed said 'Personal Responsiblity' should be
our watch words (or in my case 'corporate responsiblity' ;-)

Safe Coiling
Nick

Nicholas Field
Director,  HVFX