Re: I need flyback help!

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Robert,

> I got what i think is a flyback transformer from an
> old packard bell
> monitor, but none of the wires are labeled, so i
> don't know where the
> input and output are.

This is usually the case ; )

>i have 4 pictures of it. the
> bottom of it has 2
> isolated pins and 10 in a horseshoe shape. i'm
> guessing the 2 that are
> separate are the input and the red one sticking out
> the top is the
> output and the other pins in the horseshoe shape are
> taps or something.

Pretty much.
> there are also 2 knobs on the back of it labeled
> "focus" and "screen.
> what do they do? the pictures tell it better. could
> someone also direct
> me to a site that has a 555 driver schematic for it?

On my website, www.hvguy-dot-com, check out
"FETdriver.html". Keep your input voltage to around
12V or less, and make sure you have LOTS of current
behind it (5 amps minimum). It should work great
provided the frequency of your flyback is between
15kHz and 60kHz. (all flybacks are usually in this
range).

You'll only have to identify the HV ground pin, as you
can make your own primary --- which makes things MUCH
easier.

Several people have tried the circuit, it has worked
for them.

> also, can you use a
> flyback to power a small TC or do you just use it
> for plasma globes hv
> tricks?

Absolutely. You can run the high frequency (tens of
kHz) output of the flyback into a real live Tesla Coil
setup with a spark gap and capacitor. Keep the
capacitor value VERY small, and play with the primary
coil tap until you get sparks. This kind of TC is
quite safe compared to NST or OBIT or MOT or pig coils
(lol), as touching the live "primary" circuit will
only result in a painful bite. (it's high frequency,
not 60Hz)

This circuit will drive a flyback until the HV output
breaks out into the air -- not just corona, but actual
streamers. A nice hissing SSTC look to it.

If your flybcack has a built in rectifier, expect to
have 2 or 3" of screaming purple fog looking corona
between HV output and ground...it's neat.

Take care,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com