Re: Horizontal TC's?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 12/7/01 11:16:20 PM Central Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Dwight Crider by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<
> dwight.crider-at-RegulusGroup-dot-com>
>
>  The horizontal, dual ended coil sounds intriguing. I wonder what the effect
>  of a gentle bending of the secondary around a long radius might be. Sort of
>  like a "Slinky" with both ends flat on a surface, then both ends raised to
>  horizontal (or even vertical). Thought this might better isolate the
primary
>  from strikes as long as the end windings do not get appreciably closer to
>  the primary. Anyone tried this?

Dwight,
The ends of the 1/2 wave horizontal bipolar must be kept as far from anything
as you
can get them. Air is the best insulator. The ends of the coil are sparking to
eachother and the problem is to shape the e-field so as to direct that spark
out and away from the ends of the coil. Arching the secondary like a slinky
to put both ends of the coil against a surface would be the same as placing a
vertical 1/4 wave coil upside down on concrete.

My 20-inch bipolar produced a full 20 inch spark. My error was in scaling up
too large to
a 48 inch coil so I simply ran out of space to insulate the coil. If I repeat
the experiment
it will be to reconfigure a 24-inch coil in another attempt to get a spark
larger than the physical length of the coil.

Hope that answers your questions.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman