Re: Seperate transformer cabinet or not?

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz
<mailto:twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <mailto:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net><jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> The weight and bulk aspect is probably the biggest practical problem with
> higher powered TCs (and other high energy HV stuff).  And, because you're
> not likely to rebuild it once it's done, you kind of want to pick a good
> solution from the beginning.
>

>> Original poster: "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz
>> <mailto:twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
>
> <mailto:vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net><vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>
>>
>> I'm about to add a 4th 15/60 NST to my power supply, and plan to leave room
>> for a 5th.  After that, I get a pig. I went with the third choice - seperate
>> power supply unit.  It's not exactly a box - just a big plank of heavy
>> plywood with 2-by-4 rails on the sides, two big wheels on one end and a
>> handle on the other.  Kind of like a hand truck in shape and form.  Mounted
>> on it are my NST's, protection circuit on the high voltage side, and line
>> filters on the mains side.  I've got a variac, but I keep that seperate,
>> because a) adding it on would make the weight too much, even with the big
>> wheels, and b) I like to use it for other things occassionally (like motor
>> control for winding jig).

Hi All...

I build a seperate box for the hi voltage components and
another for the controller...   for 2 main reasons

1. weight
2. safety ( i dont like being that close to 15- 35 KV :)  )

on the smaller coils the NST's and associated hivolt parts are incorporated
into the base box of the coil assy ( which weighs about 90lbs.).  the second
box contains the variac and assorted gauges and fuses which pushes the scales
to 60lbs.

On The BIGPIG coil there are 3 components ( cases) ...

1. the variacs, fusing, and gauges... 250 lbs
2. the "pigpen" which also holds the inductor 600 or so lbs
3. the coil set which holds the SRSG, safetys and caps  80+ lbs

plus I like the space that is available in each box to do work  ... less chance
of bumping into another hot lead while doing trouble shooting...

check out the website for pictures

<http://members.telocity-dot-com/~bigfoo39/>http://members.telocity-dot-com/~bigfoo39/

Scot D