Re: Pole transformer advice

Original poster: "Edward Wingate by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Steve White by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<slwhite-at-zeus.ia-dot-net>

> I just picked up my 10 KVA pole transformer and I have some advice on how to
> obtain these in today's "sue anybody for anything" environment. First of all,
> when requesting a quote, NEVER mention the phrase "tesla coil". You need to
> have a "story" about why you need one of these things. I had one, but I don't
> want to reveal it because I might need it again. It is highly unusual for
these
> transformer companies to be selling to an individual and it definitely alerts
> them when one of these request for quotes comes in.
>
> If you are a young person (e.g. teenager) never reveal any information that
> would indicate your age. I am not (far from it) but I found this out as I was
> talking to the salesman from the transformer company.
>
> When you request a quote, know what you are talking about. Don't request
> something like "I need a pole pig". Use specifics such as "I need a 10
KVA pole
> transformer, 2 bushings, no taps, 120/240 volts out, 14400 volts in". It is
> still possible to buy these things if the right words are used.
>
> Steve: Coiling in Iowa

Steve, all,

You used the intelligent approach. Congrats on your acquisition! :^)  And
may I add a few thoughts
directed to anyone considering a step up to a pole transformer.

Please resolve yourself to the fact that it is YOUR responsibility that no
one gets hurt or killed
using the pole transformer you have obtained and will be using for a
purpose other than that which
the manufacturer/seller intended.

The first time someone goes running back to the seller with "lawsuit" on
their lips, the supply
will quickly dry up. It has already happened with some capacitor suppliers!

Personal responsibility is a key phrase to remember in Tesla coiling
activities!

Ed Wingate RATCB