Using MOT's with NO Variac

Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

An offering

Currently I control the I/P to my 6 MOT Tesla (6 series secondaries in 3 pairs
centre gnd) with a variac.

An option suggested is to switch each primary ON one at a time to increase the
power in 6 steps instead of a variac.

Suspect it may be nescessary for the OFF xfrmrs to have their primaries shorted
but this can easily be achieved with the appropriate type of switch (I think
not havivng yet checked this point.)

Would welcome any feedback from somebody who has tried this.
Best
Ted Linney in NZ