Re: RQ gap spacing theory question

Tesla list wrote:

<Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 12/6/01 7:07:17 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>

> > > I can tell you for certain that my 1st coil, which used 9 tubes, had
> > > variations from gap to gap. Yes, they were close, but not what you'd call
> > > micrometer level. And it worked just fine...until after two-three hours,
> > the
> > > oxide built up and reduced the 24" spark to 2 inches.
> > >
> > > Safety First.
> > >
> > > Ted

> > Am I the only one that does not have oxide / fouling problems with >> >
RQ/TCBOR
> > style gaps?  I have two of these that are about 5 years old.  They

> .  I can see that the pipe sections have been hot and somewhat discolored,
> slightly bluish color in the discharge area.  I have never had to clean these
> gaps.  I normally run them at 12 kv 60 ma but have run as high as 12 kv
120 ma
> through them.
>
> Ed Sonderman

	For several years I have been using a 6-section gap make of 1" pipe
couplings with a 12 kV, 60 ma transformer.  When I first operated it I
had experience similar to Ted's, although not quite so severe.  I took
the gap apart and found that, in addition to the expected oxide layer,
there was some sort of black surface crust over it.  In spite of the
fact I'd cleaned the things before initial assembly, it looked as of
there was some coating on the surface which has burned and caused the
trouble. Stuck the couplings on a wooden mandrel, cleaned them
thoroughly with #400 carborundum paper, and reassembled the thing.  Has
worked fine ever since; although there is a blue/black oxide layer on
the gaps, it is thin and seems to have no affect on performance.  Coil
uses an 0.012 ufd capacitor and throws 24 to 30 inch "sparks" from a
thumbtack stuck to the side of the 3" x 14" OD dryer duct toroid.

Ed