Re: RQ gap spacing theory question

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 12/04/01 8:07 AM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> Hi  Paul -
>
> Regardless of the physics of how the arc gets from A to Z, the arc must
> overcome the
> distance between A and Z. That distance is each gap summed additively.
> Granted, if you think
> in really slow motion, sure, the arc will leapfrog across. But, it won't
> start leaping until
> enough voltage has built up across the capictor. How high that voltage is
> depends upon the
> atmosphere at the gap and the total gap spacing. Anyway you slice it, the
> space between A
> and Z is the gap spacing.
>
> --
> Barton B. Anderson
> http://www.classictesla-dot-com
>
> Tesla list wrote:
>
>> Original poster: "pjj by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <jjenkins-at-satx.rr-dot-com>
>>
>> Lately we have been talking about plasma acs and the resistance of a
> channel of
>> ionized air.
>>
>> The question i pose is how is the summ of all the gaps EQUAL to the
total gap
>> it seams to me once the 1st gap of 50 thousandths or so was broken down that
>> channel stays open and the next it there for just another .050" or am i
think
>> outa line here.
>>
>> In short i'm thinking the electrons are just leap froging from one to
another
>> only gapping one at a time till all are crossed then it discharges the
> cap and
>> quenches all and starts over
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> "new signature to follow"

No, once a gap ionizes the resistance drops to a few ohms and the next
ionizes. Not leap frog. The time of the total gap ionization is a function
of the time of one space times the total number of gaps.Much the same as a
multi car chain accident. De-ionization is a fifferent set of conditions.
   Robert  H