Re: I Think I Messed up!

Hi Bob,

On 3 Dec 2001, at 21:14, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Bob Bozarth by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jbdetails-at-prodigy-dot-net>

> > perhaps?) with plastic cable ties. You don't need any
> > taps on this add-on coil. Do the tuning with the bare
> > turns up top.
>

>     I'm curious about adding more to a primary that isn't tappable. I would
> assume that by adding to the primary, would be so you could tap on a larger
> turn. I also assumed that after the tap point the turns don't serve a
> purpose, except to retune. Any validity to this?

Well yes - but it does give you the luxury of being able to add more
terminal capacitance at some stage without changing other primary
components. A primary that has just enough inductance for a present
design is a rather inflexible beast. I had to braze more piping to a
coil primary so I could add extra Ctop. The results were well worth
it in that particular case.

Regards,
Malcolm