Re: Primary inductance vs. coupling

In a message dated 12/4/01 2:54:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Jason,

The value of the main cap does affect the power factor in an NST
system.  LTR operation tends to make the power factor worse, so
it becomes more important to use a PFC cap.  You are correct
that this is all affected by the breakrate.  I would think the cap
would discharge most of it's energy though when the gap fires.
Richie Burnett has a good explanation of all these issues at his
website.  I played around with some of these issues using a PT,
and a variable ballast some time ago.  Some ballast adjustments
give a really bad power factor.  The real power as measured with
a wattmeter will be fine, but the apparent power is miserable.
There's also a lot about this in the archives from a couple years
ago.

Cheers,
John