Re: Static Gap Spacing

Hi Eric,

At 05:11 PM 12/3/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Terry,
>I was wondering how do I know where to put the long pipe to start? I mean
>with a 15kv/30ma how do I know what is too much voltage and what happens if
>I put the long pipe to far back? Also I'm wondering what type of transformer
>you're using with this gap, will I need 60 sections for running it with my
>transformer(15/30)?

I used it mostly with my 15/60 NST.  I only had 0.004 inch gaps which is
too small.

Just run the gap with the bare NST.  Without any caps or anything connected
to the NST, it will output 15kV exactly.  Find the furthest point that will
still allow the gap to fire and you know that is at the max firing voltage
for your NST.

>Also I'm curious as to how you grounded the long safety pipe, is it gorunded
>to the same grounding rod as the primary or to a seperate one or what?
>Thanx

I ground it to the case of the NST.  I also ground the case of the NST to
the RF ground.

Cheers,

	Terry