Re: nst went boom :-)

Original poster: "Alex Crow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alexcrow-at-blueyonder.co.uk>

Frank,

You may be lucky and it's only the tar shorting out the secondary winding,
but I think you may have damaged the insulation on the wire itself at that
kind of voltage.

When you series transformer windings, it does not halve the current. The
current capability of 200m of wire is the same as 100m, plus even though you
have double the inductive reactance you also have double the voltage, pushing
the same I. If you parallel the windings, though, you will get twice the
original current and half the voltage.

The resonant mode is now falling out of favour for precisely this reason - it
tends to kill NST's if you start setting the gap 'a little wider', although
your case is very extreme. I think you were getting about 100kV there!

Cheers,

Alex