Re: TSG Advantages?

>  what are the advantages of the TSG? Does it offer
>  superior performance?

Greg,

I think it's too soon to say for sure.  Once more folks try
the gap, and do direct comparisons with other types
of gaps, more will be known.  I haven't tried it yet, so my
comments are speculative and theoretical.

>  Longer sparks?

It's possible that the TSG will quench better than a rotary,
if enough air flow is used, because of the long gap.  Long
gaps have greater losses for a given voltage however.  So
it's a tradeoff between quenching and losses.  Some have
speculated that fast quenching is very important for longest
sparks, and others have suggested that the slower
quenching may actually help the sparks grow.  As far as
I know this has not yet been proven one way or the other.
One of the advantages of fast quenching is that it permits
the use of closer coupling which reduces losses.

>  Mechanical
>  simplicity?

Well there are no moving parts except for a fan or blower
if that's needed for the power level involved.

>  Less gap loss?

I would think the gap losses would be higher for a given
voltage because of the length of the arc.

>  Why is it preferable to a regular air blown gap or an RSG.

Possibilities for why it may be preferable are:
    -- mechanical simplicity and mechanical safety
    -- may give better quenching
    -- less timing jitter (important in some cases)
    -- may be smaller and lighter esp if no fan is needed
    -- may give better performance
    -- fast changes in breakrate are possible.  This is useful
         for making a music coil for example.

John Freau
---