Re: Triac for triggered gap

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

> Frank (and Marc where ever you are...)

The "Motorola units #107S510, SAC 230, 8120"  are a surplus units and
are a special order item, (these also have extra leads for gate
monitoring). I did look them up at one time and they are still
available, now i have to find that info again and post, this may take
some time because last weekends activities have left me quite
"immobile"?
But the good news is that high current triacs are readily available
through "ALLIED, MOUSER" and other electronics outfits, for example,
allied carries many 8, 12, 25 and 40 amp units in 600 and 800v ratings.
(they also offer some nice triac driver output optocouplers???) A very
"hefty" dimmer could actually be constructed for not to much money.
I promise i will get all the part numbers and suppliers into a list
(along with the nice 2-4 amp diac's i spotted in one of my many
catalogs) and get them posted.

In the four dimmer and fan controls (I actually like the fan controllers
better) I have yet to find one with a quadrac? the diac in my units are
very small orange or blue things that look almost like a little crystal
from an old crystal radio?
I simply unsoldered the "wimpy" triacs connections, One gate tab and two
power tabs, one in and one out, and soldered my "hefty" units in one
lead at a time.
Again, I promise i will write up a listing with #'s and all for the
coilers on the list, But it still wouldn't hurt to go ahead and use the
fan controller "as-is" for a start, get it all working, and then shoot
for the "durability plus".
As soon as i can start walking again, It will be done.

As a side note, I tried the triggered gap with the trigger electrode
firing across to a grounded electrode, this produced the trigger for the
main gap without the arc jumping to the trigger electrodes, I used a
small hv capacitor to bump the arcs ability to jump a wider trig. gap
spacing.
I have a few other ideas and config's. to try, including the field
distortion ring idea, but i'm wondering if this ring wouldn't cause
erratic firing due to it being charged by the energy of the main
electrode?
now that i have been shown how the "storage" function of my tech. 466
scope works, I may have some data to go along with it.

> The triac that I am getting from Marc in my role as #2 guinea pig, is
> clearly a Motorola. I can see their logo on the body of the item in marc's
> photos. It appears to be about 2-3" long and perhaps 3/4" diam. BIG.
> But other than the hefty current rating, I know zero about it.
>
> If Marc wishes to jump in here and let us all in on the source, it would
> likely be the right thing to do.

I'm sorry for the delay, but i will get on it ASAP.

Marc M.