Re: Capacitor construction

Original poster: "John Philip Sanderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <John.Sanderson-at-eng.monash.edu.au>

>    Hi all!
>    I'm new to the list and currently building my first coil. From
> What I have
> seen, MMC's are the capacitor of choice, but I was wondering if
> anyone has
> experimented with glass plates with aluminum foil or brass sheets
> for the
> electrodes. Both of these are in abundant supply in my shop and
> I'm trying to
> save a buck :)
> Has anyone had any luck with this? is the dielectric constant of glass
> sufficient to get a good Q in the primary?
> TIA,
> db
> <mailto:dbarrett-at-clearcube-dot-com>dbarrett-at-clearcube-dot-com

Dear Daniel,

Others may have different views and stories on this, but my experience
with tank capacitor construction goes as follows:

*Acrylic (Perspex) sheeting + alfoil - bulky for its rating, but never
let me down on small scale work.
*Beer-bottle/salt-water caps.  As above, plus wet.
*Window glass/galvanised steel sheets under oil - blew up repeatedly, a
tale of woe and misery generally speaking.
*Polythene sheeting/alfoil roly-polies - worked well "dry" with
occasional blow-ups if over-stressed.  But easy to make and there were
always "spares" handy.
*Same deal under oil was electrically robust, but I was always fighting
the oil leaks.
*Second-hand commercial pulse cap - great performance until one day blew
its guts out all over the place.
*MMC - no problems yet.  Seems like the go if you can afford it.

I was attracted to glass because of the higher relative permittivity (ie
more capacitance per square metre in simplified practical terms) but
never had a good time with the glass-metal sheet arrangement.  I don't
know about primary Q, I just found that the dielectric strength of the
glass was immensely variable and nowhere near what the books "said" it
should be.  Maybe others had more success...

Cheers,

John.

John Sanderson
Fluidization Group