Re: soda bottle caps

Original poster: "kim fulk by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kimisaliam-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: soda bottle caps
>Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 23:03:28 -0600
>
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><Cydesho-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>I know that this will seem primitive compared to the MMC's that everyone is
>building now, but I thought I'd ask about it.  I was wondering if anyone
>out
>there has had any success with building bottle caps out of the two liter
>soda
>bottles. I decided to build one and I found that it had a capacitance of
>about 400 picofarads. It also withstood being hooked across my 12 kV NST.
>Does anyone have any information about this, like the dielectric properties
>of PETE plastic. It's nice to have the list back.
>                                     Justin
>

>Hi Justin

My name is Kim and this is the first time I answer anyone on this list.  I
usually read everyone elses messages,  but this time i wanted to answer
yours.  I guess im shy,  anyway I have played with 2L soda bottles made of
PETE to build NaCl solution and Al foil capacitors.  Referring to a web page
on the electrical properties of plastics  I think this is very similar to
Mylar plastic (if im wrong please correct me anyone on list).  The
information i found for PET which is Mylar , has a listed dielectric rating
of 7.5Kv/.001" and a dielectric constant of around 3.0 -at- 1MHz and a
dissipation factor of.016 -at- 1MHz which is quite close to tesla coil
frequency range operation (XXKHz-1MHz) roughly,actually  dielectric const.
and dissipation factors due differ depending on the F but this should be
roughly close anyway.

The capacitors I built for my 4.5"dia. coil were originally made of 2L pepsi
bottles,  they roughly measured 2.1nF each using my 87 series fluke meter
for measuring C, so i think this was fairly accurate measured value.  I ran
my coil on 4 of these parallel for a total of around 9.95nF.  I ran the coil
using a 9Kv .03A neon and it produced discharges of around 8 inches.  When i
stepped up to 15Kv-at-.03A things started to change i was blowing my pepsi
bottles left and right.  Anyway things started getting messy with salt
water,  i decided that i would have to run then in series to lower the
voltage across each bottle but then things started getting really bulky lots
of bottles.  They due work but i found out they tend to break down in the
15-20kv region also the bottoms of the bottles have scrapes and scratches
which can lead to lower punture voltages, Also mylar tends to heat up at
tesla coils F operation so this may lead to breakdown also.  Since ive
switched to MGD beer bottles  which have given me better performance
although they are glass(lossy also,  these bottles are clear and smooth and
smaller my beer bottles measure roughly 1.1nF and are easier to move around
than those 2L soda bottles and i can parrallel these bottles and they tend
to with stand 15Kv RMS or 21.2Kv peaks and maybe more but not much i
estimade maybe 25kv+???  With 20nF and 15Kv .06A (2 neons paralleled im
getting 36" discharges from my 4.5"o.d. 22awg wound with 806 counted turns
of essex magnet wire.  My spark gap is a air blown static gap made of 1"
bronze pluggs pollished  and fitted to 1"copper pipe for heat sinking.
Primary is 14 turns of.25" copper fridg. tubing wound in a flat spiral.
Eventually i think il go mmc when i hit the lottery!  till then my piggy
bank will have to fill up slowly.

Anyway my experience with PETE caps led me to try glass bottles mainly for
the low break down voltages i was experiencing,  the beer bottles i like a
lot better and they seem to perform well for me,  I talked to another coiler
off list and he told me that his 42nf glass bottle bank produced similar to
his 40+nf mmc bank.So glass bottles wine, beer etc are a nice alternative to
costly caps if its out of your range for the moment. Its all about having
fun so keep on expermenting thats the fun of it, if your like me, Who knows
you might come up with a technological breakthrough just by way of
expermentation.