Re: Help with Secondary

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Shaun.

It might be too late, but stand your coil up VERTICAL and slop the
polyurethane on with something. Pour it on, submerge the coil then stand it
up, squeeze it out of a rag onto it, whatever.

Before you laugh and say "yeah right!", I'd like to say I've coated about 10
coils in this manner, with perfect finishes every time. From coils 1.5" to
12" in diameter. The technique works. The stuff "wicks" in between the turns,
leaving no runs. The runs occur at about the 4th coat, then you have to start
using a brush (coil vertical still) to apply a thinner coat to keep it from
running.

A really good friend of mine, Aron Koscho, tried Minwax's new "Polycrylic"
stuff. He said it's much better than their regular polyurethane, goes on
thicker and cures rock-hard (the polyurethane seems to be just a tiny bit
soft)

3 weeks ago, both Aron and I wound a new 12" for our big twin project and
finished it with Minwax Satin (not clear gloss...) polycrylic. It is just a
little bit foggy looking, but otherwise very nice. We both suggest using
Minwax brand, clear gloss, polycrylic. But since you already have it, the
clear gloss polyurethane will work excellent. Stand your coil up and dump it
on. Let dry overnight, and do it again a few more times.

Aron says the humidity is significant when using the polycrylic. Keep the
place dry..........

By the way, this technique (stand up vertical and slop on) was used to coat
our old 12" coil, which has withheld 10kVA IN THE POURING, DRIVING RAIN with
no problems. The coil has been stored outside my workshop now for several
months, with runs in between. This secondary has been run at up to a measured
18kVA, no problem.

Hope this is of some help, have a good one.

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
G-1 #1150
Email: pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com