Help with Secondary

Original poster: "Shaun Epp by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <scepp-at-mts-dot-net>

Hello Group:
I'm just starting to wind and coat my secondary, it's 4.25" x 22" and
I'mwinding it with 26 gauge magnet wire.  I've rigged up a winding  jig with
a drill and variac to wind and dry it.  I've sanded and cleaned to pipe
inside and out, Then coated to with polyurethane.

The problem  I have is:

How do make smooth coats with the polyurethane.  I bought the fast drying,
clear gloss, oil based version made by Min Wax.... I hope some else has
used this stuff.   I've tried a brush while the tube is spinning... the
results were
inconstitant coat.   I then tried a cheap foam brush.... a little better
but
still not even coat.   Then I tried heavy coat on the brush and smooth it
out with the foam brush.  Anyway  at the time of writing this call for
help  its been four hours since in started to try to do a coat.  So I'm
going to
stop the drill and check it.   the istructions on the can claim 12
Hours......  But the front said Fast Drying.   We'll see

 What technique and how thick a coat should I use?
 Thanks in Advance.

BTW. I called Behr company about the Behr 50 that others have raved about.
Behr co. said that there were too many other similar products out there
that  they decided to pull it off the market.  Also Behr 50 is a "thick
polycrilic or acrilic (can't remember)" clear coat and that polyurethane
works well
 too.  The fellow I talked to was also somewhat familiar with tesla coils"