Re: Safety Gap, Grounding, and Secondary Questions/Bipolar Oudin Considerations

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: John Freau

> I still waiting for someone to demonstate that a magnifier
> can produce longer sparks than a classic coil for a given
> input power.  I used to be a magnifier advocate.  But not
> after I did some comparative tests.

Some difference would only appear in a system with high coupling,
and correspondingly fast energy transfer. What would be gained
would be only a small increase in efficiency. Otherwise, plain
energy conservation limits the output as a function of the input
power.

A Tesla coil variation with a direct coupling between the primary
and the secondary, without magnetic coupling between the two
coils, is perfectly possible, but has no reason to be better
than the usual form. I wrote a paper that shows how to design this
kind of circuit for optimal performance. See the example 3.1 at:
ftp://coe.ufrj.br/pub/acmq/papers/is00mr.pdf
A problem with the structure is that the voltage gain depends
on the number of cycles taken by the energy transfer.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz