Re: NST protection

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Justin,

Your microwave oven cap NST protection scheme is
flawed. However, you can certainly use high voltage
bypass caps in a simple lo-pass filter arrangement to
protect your NST from RF feedback. A filter & safety
gaps will protect NSTs about as well as they can be
protected from the harsh RF currents produced by the
disruptive type tesla coil. Another possibility is to
rectify and filter the output of your NST to make a DC
power supply, perhaps using a bank of MOT caps for the
output filter. This would offer a high degree of RF
isolation between the NST and the tesla tank circuit.

Terry Fritz has a diagram for the ultimate NST filter
on his site. I have a cheaper, simpler version on my
site. You can build an effective lo-pass filter for a
fraction of the cost of a used 15/60 NST. I think it's
money well spent.

Best Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg