NST protection

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Cydesho-at-aol-dot-com>

Well, I burned out another one of my 15kV 60mA NST's today. That's the second
one, and I've only got one left. After the cursing stopped, I got to
thinking. After I while, I came across an idea for protecting NST's. I don't
know if it will work, but I'll ask you guys and see what you think. A couple
of days ago, I was asking about using microwave oven caps as a tesla tank
capacitor. Everyone that responded told me that they won't work because they
are lossy at RF frequencies. They are intended for use at about 60 Hz. So
here's the idea: Why not place lossy type capacitors between the tesla tank
circuit and the NST. I'm not an electronics expert, so someone would have to
come up with a proper setup. The 60Hz coming off the NST would pass through
the caps without any problem, but any RFI coming back through the circuit
would be turned into heat before it could damage the NST. Of course some
other type of capacitor could be used beside microwave oven caps, which would
be quite bulky. I have no idea if this will work, but I thought I might as
well throw it out there. I'd like to know what some of you guys out there
think.
                                Justin