Re: quench gap

In a message dated 8/15/01 2:46:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol.
> com>
>
>  Hi everyone,
>        Quench gap. Does anyone use these anymore? they sound like they
would
>  work pretty well.
>
>  Quench Gap - A special type of multi-electrode static spark gap sealed in
an

>  enclosure filled with air. After a few seconds of operation, the oxygen
>  inside the enclosure is burned away, leaving the gap to operate in a
> Nitrogen
>  atmosphere (air is 80% Nitrogen). The Nitrogen atmosphere makes the gap
>  self-quenching without the need for mechanical assistance from fans or
>  blowers.

Jonathon,

the true quench gap is a stack of special machined metal discs
with insulating rings between their edges.  The metal is recessed
so the sparking will not occur near the inner edge, which would
burn the insulating material.  When teh gap is first run, the oxygen
is burned up, leaving unburnable gases inside.  They do quench
well, but I'm not sure how they are loss-wise.  To handle high
powers they have to be quite large and robust or they'll overheat.
A lot of work to build them properly.  I'm not sure how much
testing has been done with them on TC's.

John Freau