Re: Topload and Arcing

Hi Henry,

Tesla list wrote:

<Hhchicken1-at-aol-dot-com>

> Bart,
> >>The calc should be 0.5 *(C1+C2),
>
> Surely this would mean that two identical toroids would have the same
> capacitance as just one?!
> I'm a bit confused about this myself as I'm trying to work out the Fres of my
> mini coil which will use two identical stacked toroids.

Yes, two identical coils would have about the same capacitance as one. If
they are not
identical, then you should see about 50% of the sum of the two
capacitances. This is
based on comments form the list (which I too had a hard time believing). So
I measured
and verified to myself that this was true. Obviously, it won't always hit
exactly 50%,
but I'd almost bet in comes real close. As I mentioned in another post
tonight, one
toroid is in a somewhat close proximity to the upper secondary (bottom
plane of first
coil is about an inch above) and the other toroid varied in height. Now,
should I have
raised both several inches above the secondary, then I should see a change
since the
proximity to the secondary is increasing (assuming the walls and ceiling
are at a
large enough distance to not effect the measurement significantly).

The best way to check is to use E-Tesla6 available at Terry's website:

 http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Programs/Programs.htm

It's a quick download in a zip format. Make a directory for ETesla6 and
unzip it
there. Open the ReadMe.txt file and read (quicly explains input values).
Then open up
input.txt and change values to your values. Then simple doubleclick on the
.exe file
to run the program. It will read the input.txt data and begin running. If
you have any
problems, check your inputs carefully. I always run a non-terminated coil
at first to
verify the coils self-resonant frequecy, then start adding toroid values.
The program
allows 2 toroids. If simply checking the toroid, you set all the primary
inputs to 0.
The program runs just fine this way.

Note, you will need to back calc the toroid capacitance(s).

Take care,
Bart