Re: Toroid selection

In a message dated 8/14/01 9:20:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Yes, John, I have limited space and was trying to avoid having
>  several sizes of toroids. Ideally, I'd like to use the same primary,
>  secondary, and topload with both the nst and mot power supplies. I
>  estimated the toroid size by plugging in the mot coil numbers into
>  QTC and trying toploads till I got a good match for the primary cap.
>  After giving this some more thought, it may be easier to have one
>  toroid per PSU. Here are some of the specs I have come up with using
>  the QTC excel worksheet:

Gregory,

I'll look over the specs you posted some more.  But I still
can't understand the logic of selecting a toroid size based
on tuning considerations.  The toroid size should be based
on power input, bps, and expected spark length.  You can
tune a coil for any toroid size by tapping along the primary
as needed.

John Freau