Re: Toroid selection

Original poster: "G by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bog-at-cinci.rr-dot-com>

Yes, John, I have limited space and was trying to avoid having
several sizes of toroids. Ideally, I'd like to use the same primary,
secondary, and topload with both the nst and mot power supplies. I
estimated the toroid size by plugging in the mot coil numbers into
QTC and trying toploads till I got a good match for the primary cap.
After giving this some more thought, it may be easier to have one
toroid per PSU. Here are some of the specs I have come up with using
the QTC excel worksheet:

~MOT COIL (two xfmr/doubler)~
secondary: 8.5 X 26 winding, 26 awg, 1625 turns;
freq. 109 kHz unloaded, 49 kHz with 52 pf topload;
primary cap: geek mmc, 3 strings X 11 caps, 0.41 uf;
primary: 1/4" copper, 1/4" spacing, tapped at 16 turns for 251 uh;
gap: asrg- rt. angle grinder, spdt configuration, 833 bps max

~15/50 COIL~
secondary: same
primary cap: MMC set to 0.27 uf
primary: same, tapped at 17 turns for 283 uh
topload: 35 pf for 57 kHz
gap: 120 bps srsg

I like the numbers I'm seeing with the 8" secondary. Currently I have
a 6" secondary. Frequency has come down a lot, and I still have many
turns to limit gap losses too!

ps- I happened across my 8" secondary in a construction scrap pile.
The builders had pieces of 14" dia. pvc laying there too, too!! Curse
my small house...