Re: Tube Coil, impedance matching

Original poster: "Sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi Jim, All!

   After a much-needed weekend off (watching DVD's on my new player and
doing my part to recycle brown glass bottles), I'm ready to squint and sigh
and try to make my toob coil run better!

 When it comes to impedance matching, I'm a dimwit.  The only radio amatuers
handbook I could find talked down about tube gear like it was inferior or
some crap, I got the idea the author just didn't know squat about tubes, or
was too lazy to study them well.

  I'm equipped with a Tek storage scope, a radio shack meter that measures
freqeuncy pretty well, and I'll be building Terry's resonance doothingey
(for finding the resonant freq of coils) sometime this week.  My old sig gen
looks to be out for the count, no output :(    So, armed with these things,
and a good calculator, how does a simp like me go about figuring impedance
matching?  My higher math has faded into oblivion (you just don't use
quadratics every day in Unix admin, ya know?)

 So, I suppose you'd have to start from the beginning....  I'm sure there's
more non-mathheaded tube coilers like myself who are itching to figure this
out too :)

Shad (The impedance-ly challenged)