Brazing Carbide

Original poster: "brian by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ka1bbg1-at-mcttelecom-dot-com>

Hi all, well i have been silver brazing carbide since i first started in a
machine shop at the age of 14 years old. It's a simple process to learn and
requires an acetylene air/oxygen or mapp gas for heat. I have brazed carbide
onto many metals and many times without even removing the coating. but i also
have used everything from brass rod to 100% silver stick. pure silver you need
to put a very thin piece of brass shim stock in the joint and all goes well.
Skip plating copper,just a lotta mess for something this simple. if you are
worried,then rub a little copper onto the steel after you ruff up the finnish.
rules are simple, degrease,ruff up the finnish,put a thin piece of silver
solder coated on both sides with brazing flux between the part and the
carbide,put the heat on the biggest piece first. When both parts are about dull
read it will flow and pull the carbide tight to the steel and if you put just
the right amount of silver in there almost no clean-up will be necessary except
for the flux.
    I will try to braze any carbide you guys want to try. just hit me off list
and ship it to me..cul brian f.