Re: Safty Gaps Fire with discarges

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Alex Madsen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<alexmadsen-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> I made a new toroid for my coil. It is 6X26 with a 15/60. I can just barley
> get breakouts with it. However, it verified a suspicion I had. When ever I
> get a good streamer off it the safety gaps fire. Is this normal and how can
> I prevent it? For specks in my coil go to www.geocities-dot-com/alexmadsen. the
> site is a little out of date I just added another .0115 uf to may mmc array
> and as mentioned above a new topload.
> It Should also that my safety gap is not equal. I set it as told, moving the
> electrodes in until they arced with just the NST attached. Then out a very
> tiny bit. The approximate settings are 6/32 and 9/36. Strange. What are
> other people setting there's at?
> Alex Madsen
> # 1147

Hi Alex...

the settings on other coils depend on the voltage and cap size and initial
gap width they are
using...

I normally use and additional 25% more width on my safety gap as compared
to my spark gap. (
example: if the spark gap is .5" then the safety would be .75")

on my small coil the safety is set for 1/2" approximately, while on my
bigpig coil it needs to be a
minimum of 7/8" ( but than again the bigpig is sourcing 32KV into the
primary tank system at full
throttle )

Scot D