Re: RSG Idea

Hi Jonathon,

A coil may only conduct at the spark gap for maybe 300uS at the very most
during each cycle.  In other words, the gap only fires for 300/1000000 of a
second at each bang.

During this time an 1800 RPM rotor moves...

1800 / 60 x 360 x 0.0003 = 3.24 degrees.

The gap also starts to fire early before the electrodes really align.  About
1/8 to 1/4 inch away due to the high voltage jumping the gap early.  So "I"
wound not think the widening the electrodes would have much advantage unless
the rotor speed were very high.

However, having rounded electrodes or some shape that would tend to hold of the
arc until the gaps get really close and then having lots of exposed area should
reduce the gap resistance.

Cheers,

        Terry