Re: "I want bigger sparks!" (me too)

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Guys,
     I've been building 3.5"x12" TCs for years now and I've gotten to the
same as you, about 12" sparks, in my case from 9kv-30ma NST.

The only thing I have not done is a rotary SG, I've tried all sorts of static
gap materials (tungsten-carbide is best so far), and all sorts of primary
caps (0.5, 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0) times "resonance" for my 9-30 NST, and all
sorts of secondaries from 500 turns of #24 wire to 2000 turns of #36 wire.

There is a large variation in the subjective quality of the sparks with all
these variables (my favorite is the #32 secondary with 1.0 Res cap), but the
maximum spark length is about 12" for any of these combinations.

If anyone else does better on a coil that is only 12" high I'ld like to know
how also!!!

It is suprising that you guys only get 12" sparks with 12 and 15 kv NSTs
while I get that with 9kv. I've been putting off trying larger NSTs because
I've been expecting to then have to build a long rod to remotely tune my
SG spacing 'cause I like to do this while the TC is running.

I've seen my sparks go from ~6" on 6-30 NST, 8~9" on 7.5-30 NST, to 10~12"
on 9-30 NST, so I expect the trend to continue, but perhaps as your experience
shows it might level off instead.

-Peter Lawrence.

(ps, since I burned out my 7.5-30 NST I ALWAYS use a safety gap, and my spark
length measurments are based on having a safety gap set appropriately for the
NST voltage).

>Original poster: "The Big Giant Kevin by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <neo4s-at-hotmail-dot-com>