Re: triggered gap quench at high power, was home brewtachometer

In a message dated 8/9/01 11:03:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I'm not sure what the "shorter gap path" means, But i use a strong
>  vacuum source and as i said, The trigger electrode on the anode side.
>  The gap spacing was on the order of 2.5" for the main electrodes and a
>  1/2" spacing for the trigger to anode.

Marc,

A shorter gap path means a narrower gap spacing.  Pressure is
considered to be better than vacuum in general, because it lets a
narrower or closer gap spacing be used, which reduces gap losses,
at least in theory.

>  >
>  > I guess to trigger a gap at higher than 120 bps, a different kind of
>  > timer circuit would be needed other than the lamp dimmer.
>  > Some sort of 555 timer based circuit should work well.
>
>  Right, In my dc coil testing i used the trigger driver that i sent to
>  hotstreamer-dot-com Along with a decade resistor and decade capacitor box's.
>  This allowed for some "wild" break rates, One thing i wanted to try was
>  using the triggered gap for the audio inputted break rates. I thought
>  maybe the audio signal could be inputted into a transistor that could
>  power the trigger circuit?
>  Maybe those coilers with some audio experience could help here, At least
>  some input?

That may work, at least with certain types of audio.  Another
thing I want to try is to create a triggered gap musical coil
which will be controlled by a keyboard.  Each note would
cause the timer circuit to fire the gap at the required frequency
for that note.  I have no idea when I'll get around to this though.

John Freau