Re: To cut or not to cut

In a message dated 8/8/01 11:22:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "terry oxandale by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
> toxandale-at-cei-dot-net>
>
>  None of my 1256's were cut. I used about 25% of the windings with one, two
>  paralleled used about 50% of the windings, with only a slight improvement
in
>  the saturation problem. Yes, I could easily get 40 amps out of a single or
>  dual set-up, but the ammeter would indicate all or nothing with very
erratic
>  power flow. Then I would go back to my other fixed air core reactor (lots
>  and lots of turns) and everything is smooth as glass again.
>
>  (un)Terry

Un-Terry, Brian,

Regarding the smoothness of operation, maybe the many
turns used in some ballasts is acting like a series resistor to
smooth out the current, and dampen bad resonances,
especially during async gap operation.  Variacs in contrast
have such a low series resistance, so this may allow such
resonances to occur.  It would be interesting to add series
resistances to the variac set-ups to see if they smooth out.

When I used a variac as a ballast in my sync coil, I had a
different problem.  The coil ran smooth, but horribly
in-efficient.  Instead of drawing 600 watts, it drew 1200
watts.

John Freau