Re: Mystery Transformer

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>
>
> Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry
> Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>
> >
> > Dear List,
> >
> > I have a big, fat, E I type transformer I'm hoping
> you
> > can help me identify. It is labeled: "RANDTRONICS
> > 143A00379" and "SDS MAGNETICS".  The dimensions
> are
> > 7.5"W, 6.25"H, and 3.5"D.  The core windows are
> about
> > 1.25"W x 3.25"H.  The center leg is about 2.5" x
> 3.5".
> >  It has eight, screw-type terminals, four to a
> side.
> > The terminals on one side are labeled X1 thru X4,
> and
> > on the other side they are labeled H1 thru H4.
> The
> > thing is painted gloss black.  It appears to be
> held
> > together by a bolt thru each corner--perhaps it
> can be
> > disassembled?  Does anybody know what I've got?
> My
> > first thought was that I would use the core to
> wind a
> > HV transformer, but I'm afraid the windows are too
> > narrow for that.  Comments anyone?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Greg

> > Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute
> with Yahoo! Messenger
> > http://phonecard.yahoo-dot-com/
>
> Hi Greg...
>
> looks like you either have a 3 phase 240 V trannie
> rated for about  .5KVA
> or it is a 240 to 120  buck
> boost trannie rated for 1KVA ...    if you remove
> the present wires and
> rewind it as an inductor with a
> single core of # 10 ( 200 winds) wire you can get
> about 25 amps worth of
> inductor at about 240V
>
> do a test and hook 120V to the H1 and H4   and read
> with a voltmeter X1 and
> X4 this wil tell you if it is
> a 240 to 120 trannie ( you should read 60V on X1 and
> X4)
>
> if you have the patience ...  yes it could be wound
> for Hi Volt trannie
> about 50 winds #10 or lower and
> about 6000 turns of #20 or 22 wire will result in
> 12KV BUT you will have to
> soak the trannie in bee's wax
> ( not parafin) to get a good hi volt protection...
> there are other things
> to coat the coil in to produce
> a good protective coating ( Glyptol, etc)
>

> read  the other posts before you start wackin...
>

> Scot D

Howdy Scot,

6000 turns of #20? No way! The core windows are so
skinny I've been contemplating #30 or #32, and even
that would be a tight squeeze. When you suggest 50
turns on the primary, I assume you are thinking in
terms of 120V operation. If I wind it, I plan to go
for 240V input, so I'll need 100 turns? I suppose I
could tap the primary at the midpoint so I could run
it at 120V or 240V. I visited a homebrew xfmr site at:

http://allencoilpage.home.att-dot-net/

and it suggested 180 primary turns for 240V operation.
How did you arrive at your figure for primary turns? I
already have a nice arc welder for ballast, so I don't
want to use it for that. I don't know what I'm going
to do with this thing. It's too nice & heavy to throw
it away.

Thanks for your reply,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg