Re: Need Panel Meter

Original poster: "James T by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jamest2000-at-att-dot-net>

Brent,Greg,Mike,All,
 Current transformers are about the safest way(IMO) to measure current in a
control box.
  My experience is that you can't use just any amp meter with the current
transformer. The
"real" ones I saw had "current transformer" on the front panel in tiny
letters. When I tried to
use a standard panel meter I had non linear readings. Mabey the meter
loaded the coil up to
much.
 The official meters were very pricey. If anyone knows how to use a cheap
analog Amp meter with
the many choices of cheap surplus current transformers, me and many others
would love to know.
Regards,
 James

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Brent Turner by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bturner-at-apc-dot-net>

> Use a current transformer. For example, to meter 50 amps, get a 50:5
> transformer and use a 5-amp meter. Scale factor is multiplied by 10. You
> should be able to find surplus AC current meters like that in surplus.
> Transformers are fairly low-cost as well, and also available in surplus.
>
> This is what I used on my controller, though the meters I used weren't
> cheap. (Looks fantastic though.)
>
> - brent
>
> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Mike Waddick by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mikew-at-winternet-dot-com>
> >
> > greg,
> >
> > I looked all over for pannel meters and boy do some people want ALOT of
> > money for them, i belive digikey wanted 50-60 dollers EACH!!

snip