Re: Question about x-formers and spark gaps?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 8/6/01 8:13:45 AM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> What is a MOV? What is the difference between KV and KVA and what does KVA
> stand for? If I have a rsg with 4 stationary electrods, eight on the disc,
> and a 1350 rpm motor, is my bpm to low. Help me please!
>
> Thanks, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

MOV -- Metal Oxide Varistor - A variable resistor used to protect
circuitry against overvoltage surges, resistance stays very high until
the cut-off voltage is reached then quickly decreases to almost
zero, thus effectively shorting out the over voltage until it drops
back down to safe levels.

KV -- kilo-volts or 1000 volts
KVA -- Kilo-volt-amps or 1000 volt/amps example: 100 volts -at- 10
          amps equals 1000 volt/amps

1350 RPM with 8 rotary electrodes should yield approximately
180 bps. This would not run synch from 60 hz mains freq, but
this is a reasonable bps rate. Synchronous bps rates at 60
hz would either be 120 bps or 240 bps.

David Rieben