From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2001 6:13 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Safety gap resistor?

Original poster: "The Big Giant Kevin by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <neo4s-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Do you current limit your primary to keep the discharge current from
damaging your cap?
>I have NEVER seen a cap destroyed by a safety gap yet. I HAVE however
seen many caps go to the great beyond for the lack of a safety gap!
>The first question I ask someone who has just blown a capacitor is "were
>you running a safety gap on the cap?", and almost invariably the answer is
>no. I personally will use a safety gap every time!

Someone please straighten me out on this! It makes since to use a current
limiting resistor for the MMC caps, but... WHERE should I put the resistor?
Are we talking about the resistors in the Terry filter (that I am using), or

should there be another resistor in series with the cap gap, or a resistor
in series with the primary coil? And if so, WHAT value and wattage resistor
should I use? Save my caps! Kevin