Re: safety gaps on capacitors

Hi Rob, All,

I understand that a safety gap is needed to protect the tank cap from an
overvolt condition, and that simply throwing
a simple gap can also damage the cap. The use of a series impedance is
recommended to extend the discharge time
reducing the overvolt stress of the safety gap occurance. You mention, to
reduce the Blumlein effect, a carefully
matched series impedance is needed. Could you elaborate on how to design in
the correct impedance?

Thanks,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Area31 Research Facility by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwstephens-at-hurontario-dot-net>

> All,
>
> Simple safety gaps (not impedance current limited) placed across your tank
> capacitor can cause the capacitor to fail due to a mechanism known as
Blumlein