RE: computer fans

Original poster: "The Big Giant Kevin by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <neo4s-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Most, probably all computer fans run on 12 V dc. Im using two in my main gap
now. Some fans do run on 120 V ac, and they will move more air than the 12 V
ones, but they cost more and are harder to find, (typically not used in
computers). The voltage the fan uses will be printed clearly on the label,
use only that voltage. New fans are too expensive, try to find used ones. A
good source of the 12 V fans are old computer power supplies. Maybe a local
repair shop could let you salvage some. I wouldn’t pay more than a few
dollars for used ones; quality varies from fan to fan. The metal fans are
the best. A typical 12 V fan will use about 100 mA of current, some more. Be
sure your 12 V power supply can handle the current drawn by the fans. Since
the fans aren’t that powerful, you might want to use at least two. Putting
the fans in series (one behind another) will not increase airflow; they must
be next to each other. I got a 4 inch diameter PVC "Y" connector. I put two
fans on the end blowing in and the spark gap at the third end. Seems to work
pretty well.