Re: Basic TS curcuit conflict

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/29/01 10:17:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I Have a small coil I have been operating off various power sources. The
> specs are:
>
> 5 1/2" helical primarry, 12 turns of 12 AWG auto wire
> 3/12 " secondary, 436 turns of 22 AWG anameled wire.
>
> The circuit I have3 been using is from John Couture's book, and in it one
> side of the transformer goes to one side of the tank cap, and the other
> trans lead to the other side of the tank cap. One side of the cap goes to
> the SG, and the other to one end of the primary.  The aligator clip side of
> the primary goes to the other end of the SG. On other circuits out there,
> like on Gary Lau's site, the trans leads both go to the spark gap, with the
> tank caps going between one end of the SG and the primary.
>
> What is the difference between these two set ups? I tried the way it is on
> Garry's site, and it seems to work better, but I get tons of racing sparks.
> I had previously been using a .038 tank cap,, and I went down to .021 .014,
> still getting racing sparks. Very little backfire from the safety gap
> however. After a few seconds, I blew a tank cap.
>
> Is it just that the other circuit is way less efficient, and so I never had
> the racing spark problems? Is hooking it up as on Gary's site harder on the
> caps?
>
> Jonathan Peakall

Hi Jonathan
IMO, Hooking it up with the cap across the transformer is harder on the
transformer, although those who have not yet burned out a tranny won't
believe it. The gap across the coil helps minimize HVHF because when the
discharge starts, the gap presents a lower voltage HF across the transformer
leads than having the full voltage of the cap across those leads. Both
configurations WILL work.

Matt D.