Re: Big Triode,little knowledge

Original poster: "Jeff Kamla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jeffk-at-sinclair-dot-net>

Hi James....  see below.

> P.S. I have some large power resistors to use as a dummy load. If they get
> warm I guess that is a  good thing.

 Try to arange them (series, parallel) so they look like 50 ohms to the RF
output.

Yes this could be a good thing, I have used a 300 watt tungsten light bulb
as
a dummy load on a 300 watt transmitter. even talked to people across the
town on that light bulb. the output impedeance of the transmitter was 50
ohms
and even though the dc resistance of the light bulb is less than 50 ohms it
still
works. you need 3k watts of load that will be a little harder to come by for
free
unless your resistors will fill the bill.

 >  I could at least use the HV supply, and stuff to build a more
 > conventional  VTTC if the big  triode actually works.

  You bet, you got the best parts to start with, even tube sockets are
expensive.

 >  The panel meters read out in watts. If it is working I should be able to
 > determine output from  them. Right? Or does there have to be a load?

  Yes this should be a very good indicator that it is working !!!  and yes
you need a load !!!

>  If the 20 watt amp would work at low frequencys it may be of use as well?

 If you don't need the 20w amp I'm interested rember.

 You have a good day !

 Jeff......