Re: Micro coil earthing

Original poster: "Matt Shayka by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <flyboxboy-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Micro coil earthing
>Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 14:00:42 -0600
>
>Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>
>
>Hi All!
>

>First my apologies for any unanswered emails - my email connection
>"dissolved" Thursday and has only just come back.  I now have 186
>emails to read ;-)
>
>I've been playing with my induction coil driven TC, all 15W of it, and
>much to my surprise I discovered that it is really, really picky when
>it comes to earth connections.  I hadn't used it in a while, and had
>forgotten how I'd wired the earth so assumed I used my ham radio earth
>(copper rod in wet earth outdoors) - wrong!  Very poor sparks.
>Instead, what I had done was to connect the earth lead to a couple of
>large mild steel cases in the shack.  Much better sparks ;-)
>
>I assume that this has something to do with the shortness of the lead
>to earth (inches instead of yards) and the fact that whatever charge
>gets pushed to earth in one half cycle gets "sucked back" on the next
>half cycle.  Anyone else seen anything similar with a TC, big or
>small?  Comments?
>
>Dunckx
>Geek#1113 (G-1)

Yes, i have. I'm a fourteen year old and i built a TC out of scratch. It is
power by a 10kV 23ma OBIT and it has a 2 3/4" by 12" secondary. My first
ground was an 8" long wood spike driven in the ground. I then took a four
foot copper rod and sank that. The output increased by 2".
So now i am getting a total of 5" sparks off this coil to a grounded rod. I
don't know what frequency it resonates, but it hurts like the devil when you
touch it. I also noticed that the streamers took on a more opaque appearance
rather than the skinny, flashy sparks that i got before. Hey, if any one has
an old NST out there i welcome donations- OBITS suck!

    -Matt