Re: Terry's RF filter Q's

Hi Jonathan,

At 03:48 PM 4/26/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Terry,
>

>>>Got all the stuff to build an RF filter ala Terry. In the schematic it shows
>>>both of the HV leads out of the filter as going to the main gap. I assume
>>>this doesn't apply to me, as I dont have a rotory gap. Just to make sure
>>>though, I can hook my coil up as usual?
>>
>>I would still think the NST/filter voltages would still go across you main
>>gap regardless of the type it is.  Maybe a little more clarification is
>>need here since I don't know exactly how your system is laid out...
>
>In my system, one side of the transformer goes to each side of the cap, then
>one lead from the caps goes to the SG, and the other goes to the primary
>coil, as shown in the 250 kv system of John Couture's book, if you happen to
>have that handy.

I would suggest going across the spark gap instead of the cap.  See the
following:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/rcfilter/rcfilter.html

>>>And does using this filter not only protect the NST, but prevent/reduce line
>>>noise going back into the main? Or do I need another filter on the variac
>>>input?
>>
>>The NST output filter will help line noise some.  I use two Corcom dual
>>stage filters in my systems but I am an overkill kind guy.  Also got the
>>webserver and stuff to worry about...
>>
>I'm an overkill guy too, so where's a good source to but a corcom dual stage
>filter?

They are pricey but:

www.digikey-dot-com
Part number:  CCM1360-ND   $27.51

They have nice terminals and all that.  You can probably find the same
thing cheaper...  They are rated at 10 amps but I "push" them :-))  I
figure they are cheaper than a new PC or something so I just get them from
good ol' DK...

Cheers,

	Terry