Re: Maxwell cap filler plugs & oil

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

> I've been meaning to ask this.  I found several Maxwell caps at a flea
> market  last year.  One of them is silent when shaken and I've been
> using this with great results.  The others all "slosh" when shaken.
> I've not yet used them and they appear to be unused.  They all have a
> plastic screw that can be removed, presumably to fill or drain the oil.
> Is it castor oil that is used in these?  Where can this be found?
> Anything else I should know about topping them off?
>
> Thanks, Gary Lau
> MA, USA
>
> >When purchasing Maxwells, (I have 3), you never know their prior
> >history, ergo you never know their remaining life expectancy. It is
> finite.
> >Some have a plastic screw as a "filler plug"  these occasionally
> >leak during shipping or they leaked before shipping and weren't topped
> up.

Hi Gary....

Maxwells have Castor oil in them, Castor oil is available at the drug
stores for laxative
purposes. Since the drug store version is medical grade ( ingestibale) I
would believe there is
minimal contaminants in it. Another source for Castor oil is thru racing
shops but I dont know
what additives they may add to it for increased lubrication purposes....

I did a test on the compatability of castor/mineral oil mix and found that
they do mix well but
are prone to retain bubbles longer ( about 5 minutes longer)  than either
alone. Dielectric values
seem to maintain their consistancies. I had recieved a Maxwell via UPS and
as everyone would agree
it did end up busted..  I repared the cap case and replaced the oil with
drug store grade mineral
oil and have seen no ill effects from doing so.

Scot  D